Wednesday, April 25, 2007

New Old Young

The Point has been playing tracks from the new Neil Young CD, Live at Massey Hall. All I can say is wow. I've liked Neil Young for a long time, but like many I was unsure at first. I can't remember when I first figured out who he was... I guess I was probably 12 or so. My first reaction, like many, was like how did a guy with a voice like that make it in singing? Over time he grew on me and become one of my favorites, but I still kind of thought of him as someone who made it "in spite of" his voice. What little I've heard so far of this new release of an old live show has convinced me that, no, he in fact has an amazing voice. Not that its any different here than previous albums, its just that hearing some songs that are fresh to me gave me a fresh outlook. Just took a little getting used to I guess.

Gotta hand it to this guy. When the cheezy 80's came around he kind of laid low (as far as know... can anyone enlighten me as to what he was up to in the 80's?). His old partners Crosby, Stills, and Nash had their piece of the 80's cheese. The great John Fogerty came out with the "life is like a rodeo" song (which I can't even find with google)... ouch. These all recovered, but to my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Young managed to ride it out without such embarrassment and my my, hey hey, good music came back and so did he!

Get this CD. I'm going to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home