Saturday, July 21, 2007

Bob Dylan in Town

One of my many New Year's resolutions this year was to not miss good musicians when they come to my back yard. So, obviously, when Bob Dylan came to the fairgrounds that was a total no-brainer. The opening band was pretty cool... I can't remember the name now but they played a lot of bluesy, Stevie Ray Vaughan -esque stuff. Dylan and his band came out around 8PM and put on a great show. But I've always thought of Dylan as a singer with a thousand voices, and it seems he only brought one of them to Vermont.... just the dry growly one. For most of the show I just thought surely he'd bring out his ballad voice or something before it was over, but then, all of a sudden... it WAS over. A good sign that I was enjoying it nevertheless. But I went away a bit sad, as I realized that Dylan's original voice is gone, and I missed it. Oh well. He must be like 65 years old... which hardly makes him an old man, but not exactly young either, and various "substances" probably haven't helped. I guess I was just born too late! But not really, because there's a lot of singer/songwriter talant coming out of the woodwork these days. I'm going to make sure I at least catch them in their prime. In the meantime, I still say Dylan is one of the best ever. Even now, though he may now be more of a cover of his own music... I gotta say he and his band still put on a decent show.

Anyone else seen Dylan lately?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home